Europe hopes for Trump tariffs deal but prepares for the worst
Europe’s leaders had been preparing for “Trump’s trade war” – but the reality of a 20% blanket US tariff still came as a shock.
“This decision is a catastrophe for the economic world,” said French Prime Minister François Bayrou.
“The consequences will be dire for millions of people around the globe,” said the EU’s Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen, who was on a trip to Central Asia.
The message from the EU, which has the task of responding on behalf of its 27 member states, is that Europe is ready to negotiate with the US but at the same time poised to hit back too.
EU Trade Commissioner Maros Sefcovic aims to talk tariffs with his US counterparts on Friday.
Courtesy: BBC